BF + procmail fails ungracefully

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Fri Dec 16 12:26:27 CET 2005

On 20051215 (Thu) at 1628:43 -0800, Greg McCann wrote:

> It seems that having mail delivery fail just because Bogofilter is
> out of sorts is a bit of an overreaction.  I would rather receive
> un-bogofiltered mail than nothing at all.  I'm wondering if it would
> be possible for bogofilter to handle failure a tad more gracefully.
> Instead of failing silently (other than the procmail log entries
> which might go unnoticed for some time) and delaying mail delivery,
> why not let the mail go through, and perhaps add a warning to the
> subject line?

:0HB:
* ? /usr/bin/bogofilter -d /ext/bogo
/your/spam/quarantine

The above stanza quarantines mail iff bogofilter "succeeds," ie returns
zero (which it does for spam).  If it returns 1 (nonspam) or 2 (fatal
error) the mail falls through to the delivery recipes.

I wouldn't want a warning sent to my users, but I'll admit it would be
nice to get one sent to postmaster.  However, I do find the errors at
my month-end review, which is good enough for me.

HTH
--
| G r e g  L o u i s         | gpg public key: 0x400B1AA86D9E3E64 |
|  http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   (on my website or any keyserver) |