New bogofilter TXN snapshot available.

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun Oct 31 21:40:15 CET 2004

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:10:11 +0100
> Matthias Andree wrote:
>
>> Apparently DB 4.1 doesn't like a change of the checksum flag, AFAIR,
>> the non-TXN versions didn't set the checksum bit. Will investigate.
>
> At least we know it's an issue with db-4.1.25, and not something
> particular to Thorsten's machine.
>
> In any case, the 0.93 release is on hold.  Either we'll have a software
> fix or have to add a warning.  With Matthias' database wizardry, my bet
> is that we'll have a fix :-)

OK. I hacked the current version to omit the DB_CHKSUM_SHA1 flag and lo
and behold, it continued to work flawlessly. Apparently 4.2 treats this
case more graceifully than 4.1, 4.0 and older didn't have DB_CHKSUM*
flags anyways.

So this is yet another issue where data base creation is different from
data base use.

My thanks go to Torsten for testing the TXN branch so we can address
this problem before shipping 0.93.0.

The interesting question is what 4.2 will do in this case, will it just
ignore that the checksums aren't present, or will it silently upgrade to
use checksums? We don't know.

I'll need to dig a bit deeper about online update facilities or such,
checksum behavior and environment querying, I would like to know if we
can tell if the existing environment had been using checksums.