Dropping TDB

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Oct 26 10:41:11 CEST 2004

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Stefan Bellon wrote:

> > What exactly prevents some RISC OS guy to contribute separate patches
> > to port it? Threads? Mutexes? Other kind of serial access to critical
> > ressources?
>
> The problem is it's size. When Bogofilter only used BerkeleyDB and
> there was no TDB (which I took to start QDBM) I indeed had a look at
> BerkeleyDB in order to port it. It's size is tremendous. You may
> remember, on RISC OS we don't have a shell like bash. So all the

Is it difficult to port a shell and some of the environment - like
FreeBSD's /bin/sh, GNU bash or zsh? I recall the whole GeekGadgets
environment was effectively GNU ported to AmigaOS.

My enthusiasm to support non-POSIX is not overly large; if someone else
does it, fine.

It appears RiscOS is the main "consumer" for QDBM support in
Bogofilter...

> Concerning the keywords given by you, threads exist in the form of
> pthreads (fork in the POSIX layer is not really useful on RISC OS yet),
> mutexes can be implemented, serial access, well you'd have to write a
> semaphore with a queue.

Well, BerkeleyDB make some use for locking. Threads aren't really needed
by BerkeleyDB, although a nonexistant fork() can be a problem; AmigaOS
didn't have that either but got along with just vfork() in most cases.