tri-state classification

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Mon Oct 25 12:46:37 CEST 2004

On 20041024 (Sun) at 1045:40 -0400, David Relson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> There's a basic change in bogofilter's classification output that I
> think should be made.
>
> In the GETTING.STARTED document, particularly the section on "ongoing
> training", thinking and writing in terms of bogofilter's tri-state
> abilities seemed especially valuable.  Being able to describe messages
> scores as "Spam", "Ham", and "Unsure" is much clearer than describing
> them as "X-Bogosity: Yes" and "X-Bogosity: No".
>
> I propose that bogofilter's default configuration be changed to use
> tri-state classification with a conservative ham cutoff of 0.4 and with
> bogosity tags of "Spam", "Ham", and "Unsure".
>
> Let me know if you approve/disapprove of this change.

Strongly approve.  Identifying the difficult messages is one of
bogofilter's advantages, leading as it does to effective yet reasonably
compact wordlists.  To throw that away by default probably means lots
of people run bogofilter suboptimally.

--
| G r e g  L o u i s         | gpg public key: 0x400B1AA86D9E3E64 |
|  http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   (on my website or any keyserver) |