anomalous subjects

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Mon Nov 29 17:15:01 CET 2004

From: "Matthias Andree" <matthias.andree at gmx.de>
>> However, I don't know if this is coincidence or not, but just four
>> messages later, I had this error:
>>
>> bogofilter: (db) db_get_dbvalue( 'aperiodic' ), err: -30982,
>> DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
>> bogofilter: (db) db_close err: -30982, DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run
>> database recovery
>
> Strange, haven't seen these in ages. Are you using NFS or something?
> Multiple wordlists?

No on both counts.  It's a relatively standard, minimal Gentoo install, with
Sendmail, Procmail, Apache, and other common mail/web server software.
/home, /var, and / are reiserfs while /boot is ext3.  I noticed an oddity
with reiserfs in another thread... might this be related?

BTW, since I upgraded my server, which included the change in filesystem
type along with an upgrade in bogofilter from 0.17.x to 0.92.8, I've noticed
a severe crippling of bogofilter's effectiveness.  Not sure why.  I hope
that ongoing training will fix it relatively quickly.

>> P.S. In the FAQ, it might be wise to mention that db_verify may in fact
>> be db4.1_verify, which is otherwise difficult to locate.
>
> File a bug report with your distributor. The utility for the system
> default Berkeley DB version should be named db_verify without
> modifications, and that's the version bogofilter is supposed to pick up
> and be compiled against.
>
> There are multiple variants floating, db_verify, db4_verify,
> db41_verify, db4.1_verify, db_verify in a special path, db_verify-4.1,
> db_verify41 and so on.

Would it hurt to mention that exact paragraph above in the FAQ?  Clearly
there is a reason for distributions to rename this program, such as perhaps
different versions of db on the same system.  If it is so common, it
deserves a small note in the FAQ.

Tom