subject line anomaly

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Nov 26 01:05:47 CET 2004

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 00:43:17 +0100
Matthias Andree wrote:

> David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:
>
> > Happy Thanksgiving to ye all!
>
> Same to you.
>
> Our "Thanksgiving" is earlier here in Germany, our "Erntedank" isn't a
> national holiday and depends on the church. The Catholic Church
> celebrates (facultatively) Erntedank on the first Sunday of October,
> the Protestants reportedly on St. Michael's day (Sept 29) or a Sunday
> in the vicinity.

Ours is "4th Thursday in November" to be precise.

...[snip]...

> the mail client apparently second guessed (wrongly) line endings. In
> the physically transported mail, only a CR LF sequence is the line
> ending. This is distorted somewhat because most if not all clients
> normalize mail line ends to the local line ends, i. e. they collapse
> CR LF sequences to a bare LF control character.
>
> > A few days ago, there was a report of bogofilter's occasionally not
> > adding the X-Bogosity line to a message.  I wonder if the line might
> > be present, but the MUA didn't think it in the header.
> >
> > Anyhow, I thought y'all might be interested in this unexpected
> > event.
>
> At the time when the passthrough mode was new, I wondered if we would
> want to prepend our finding to the head instead, IIRC we had trouble
> with mail that had
>
> header
> header
> header
> <SP><CR><LF>
> body
>
> i. e. had a non-blank line (with a space) between the message's header
> and body sections.
>
> Mail like you describe violates RFC-2822. The proper way would be to
> RFC-2047 the header and encode =?US-ASCII?Q?=0D=0D=20?= (=20 could be
> _ instead).

'Tisn't the first such violation we've seen.  This case was handled
properly and doesn't require any fixing from us, which is nice!

> Anyways, IMO the mailer misbehaves if treating bare CR as the end of
> the header line.

Certainly, putting the X-Bogosity line at the beginning would have been
easier.  The normal practice seems to be delivery messages (like
happy that bogofilter is doing as intended.  Also, I've reported the
problem to the proper mailing list.

Cheers,