proxsmtpd

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Tue Nov 23 15:07:27 CET 2004

I found something called proxsmtpd
(http://memberwebs.com/nielsen/software/proxsmtp/proxsmtpd.conf.html)
That is a relative of clamsmtpd that I started using for clamav virus
scanning on my postfix mail server.

It says, in the man pages:
FilterCommand
             This is the command used to filter email through. If not
             specified then no filtering will be done. Specify all the
             arguments the command needs as you would on a command-line.
             [ Default: no filtering ]

FilterTimeout
             The amount of time in seconds to wait for the FilterCommand
             to process email data.  [ Default: 30 seconds ]

FilterType  When set to 'pipe' the email data is piped through the
            FilterCommand using standard in and standard out. When set to
            'file' the email data is saved to a file and the file name is
            passed to the FilterCommand using the EMAIL environment vari-
            able.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

This looks to me like it might make an awesome candidate for a
daemonized front-end to bogofilter for use in the postfix MTA and not
the procmail MDA.

Has anyone looked into this or see anything that might be problematic
about this approach?

 From what I can figure out, I can either use this as a go/no-go
screening for spam using a binary scoring method.  This would be a
rather brutal approach because spam would be rejected by the server.

Or I can do all kinds of funky stuff with it.  My head is swimming with
ideas.  But I guess the point is that it might make a great staring
point for the often requested daemonized bogofilter approach.