Fedora Core 2 Berkeley problems

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Nov 21 01:08:24 CET 2004

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:32:49 -0500
Todd Slater wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 11:40:47AM -0800, Chris Wilkes wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 01:49:20PM -0500, Todd Slater wrote:
> > > With 0.93.1, built from .tar.gz.

...[snip]...

> The specific error I get when trying bogoutil -d is DB_ENV->open, err:
> 22, Invalid argument

That message comes from line 999 of datastore_db.c.  If you're so
inclined, experiment with the flags passed to dbe->open() just before
999 and see which one causes db4.3 to complain.

Does the message appear with a plain old "bogoutil -d wordist.db"
command?

> > You might try downloading the DB4.2 source from
> >   http://sleepycat.com/download/db/index.shtml
> > and trying to make an RPM out of it to install.
>
> I think that's a bit beyond my ability just yet. Good-ish news is that
> an RPM for 0.92.8 works OK. Go figure.

0.92.8 working fine is not at all surprising.  The changes to support
transactions are quite large.  BerkeleyDB appears to be evolving
rapidly.  While that's probably a good thing, it makes life difficult
for application that need to deal with the APIs (which change with
every BerkeleyDB enhancement).  Without a doubt we've stepped into that
tarpit with FC2.

HTH,