Bogofilter -u ??? - thread: 0.93.1 and DB_CONFIG flags

Michael Gale michael.gale at utilitran.com
Fri Nov 12 21:45:17 CET 2004

Hello,

	I was reading the thread "0.93.1 and DB_CONFIG flags" and a comment was
made:

--snip--
bogofilter -u is a hog and not well understood from the scoring/learning
point of view. The ostensive argumentation of "learning from known spam"
or such isn't founded on figures, and I don't dare offer my gut feeling
on this topic.

It is however well understood that -u entails write mode even for
scoring because of the subsequent registration, entails queueing behind
locks at least for the page holding .MSG_COUNT, log writes, data base
growth with unknown gains for the scoring accuracy.

I'd currently discourage the use of the -u option and if only for
performance reasons.
--snip--

I checked the bogofilter.html file in the doc directory and it does warm
against e-mail slow downs on large systems or under heavy load.

Besides the added system load ... do people find this option helps ??

I am currently using Bogofilter with the -u -p -e option on my postfix
gateway box and any messages that are misclassified got put into a
public folder and are automatically reclassified.

With out this option your wordlist would only get updated on error ?
Would the "always training" be more accurate ?

Thanks.

--
Michael Gale
Lan Administrator