database copying and compacting

Robin Bowes robin-lists at robinbowes.com
Tue Nov 9 12:29:40 CET 2004

On Tue, November 9, 2004 8:59, Matthias Andree said:
> Clint Adams <schizo at debian.org> writes:
>

>>> echo set_flags DB_DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE >>~/.bogofilter/DB_CONFIG echo
>>> set_lg_max 262144 >>~/.bogofilter/DB_CONFIG echo set_flags
>>> DB_TXN_NOT_DURABLE >>~/.bogofilter/DB_CONFIG
>>>

>> Are there plans to wrap these in bogofilter config parameters so users
>> won't have to muck around with the db env?
>
> Not at this time, why duplicate such code or make efforts to hide that
> we're using BerkeleyDB? I have added recovery to bogoutil because of the
> locking requirements, not as a fabric softener.

I think serious thought needs to be given to how transparent the use of
Berkeley DB is. As a user of bogofilter I don't want to be bothered with
the nitty gritty of configuring the underlying database tool - it should
just work; if this is not the case then the question needs to be asked: is
this the right tool for the job?

My suspicion is that it *is* the right tool but that it needs better
integration with the bogofilter toolset before it is ready for prime-time.

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com