database copying and compacting

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Nov 7 16:40:34 CET 2004

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 16:24:29 +0100
Boris 'pi' Piwinger wrote:

> David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> wrote:
>
> >Now, with 0.93.0 it's:
> >
> >    bogoutil -d $ORIG/wordlist.db > $NEW/wordlist.txt
> >    bogoutil -l $NEW/wordlist.db  < $NEW/wordlist.txt
> >    mv $ORIG/wordlist.db $ORIG/wordlist.db.orig
> >    mv -f $NEW/wordlist.db $ORIG/wordlist.db
> >    cd $NEW
> >    db_checkpoint -1 -h .
> >    rm -f `db_archive -h .`
>
> That all looks pretty complicated. Can't this be included
> into bogoutil?

Maybe so...  However before moving in that direction, it's best to be
sure the methodology is right -- something that shell scripts do well!

The Transaction capabilities provide database reliability and greatly
reduce the likelihood of corruption.  That's their "up" side.  The
"down" side is the additional file storage needed and the complexity of
dealing with the several files involved.

> But thanks for the hint. I did not understand from the
> release notes or the release announcement that there are
> quite some problems in migrating which make it necessary to
> change scripts.

The need is implied in the README.db file.