What is spam? (was: [bogofilter] ESF and redundancy)

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Wed May 12 13:20:54 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 19:08, Tom Allison wrote:
> If you threshold is 0.01 then it applies to spam >= 0.99.  If you get an
> X-Bogosity score of >= 0.99 and you have graded that email as Unsure
> then you probably need to reconsider the spam_cutoff setting you are using.

I've received spam scored at 0.000000.  There's no changing of cutoffs
which will address that.  Plus, this is only the extreme.  Are you
saying that nobody could possibly find a threshold of any significance
to be useful?  I could see people running very lean wordlists setting
this value to 0.1 or 0.2.  At this setting, it's possible that a
majority of email will not be auto-registered, and it will be impossible
to know which ones were and which ones weren't without looking at the
X-Bogosity line.  This could be a major problem in making corrections.

Tom