What is spam? (was: [bogofilter] ESF and redundancy)

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue May 11 22:12:38 CEST 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004 15:56:40 -0400
Tom Anderson wrote:

> From: <tallison at tacocat.net>
> > > Sounds like you're using auto-update (or other mechanism to
> > > register_all_ spam).  Along with "-u", I have "thresh_update=0.01"
> > > in my config file.  It tells bogofilter to skip autoupdating if
> > > the spamicity is within 0.01 of 0.000000 (surely ham) or 1.000000
> > > (surely ham).  This capability was added to slow the database's
> > > growth rate.  It will (I believe) ......
> >

> > sounds like something to test...  :)
>
> I was just thinking that this will be a great feature to use when I
> upgrade again, but then started wondering about how this effects the
> use of N & S switches.  Normally, I assume that everything I get has
> already been auto-updated, so I use -Ns or -Sn for corrections.  Will
> bogofilter automatically ignore these switches if it is given a
> registration with an original spamicity within the (0 to
> thresh_update) and (1-thresh_update to 1) ranges?
>
> Tom

Sorry Tom, bogofilter doesn't check the contents of X-Bogosity: when
registering messages.  There's no way to tell if the X-Bogosity line is
legit or spoofed.  With a low thresh_update value like 0.01, which
excludes messages scoring 0.01 and below or scoring 0.99 and above, the
need to correct is really, really low.