Challenge/Response systems considered harmful?

Chris Fortune cfortune at telus.net
Fri Mar 19 02:13:54 CET 2004

You are not differentiating between well written c/r systems and poorly written ones.   A well written c/r system would never
challenge an email from this list because it has a Precedence: Bulk header.  One example doesn't make the rule.  All horses are not
alike.  Of course how are you to know that a challenge is from one or the other?  But again, how are you to know that your email
will make it past a badly written/trained Bayesian classifier?  The only difference is that c/r has outward signs, and a badly
written Bayesian classifier simply nukes your mail silently.

Also, your list of reasonable responses is incomplete:
4. respond to the challenge because you did send an email to that recipient, and you know that your message will receive their
attention and not be lost in their inbox amongst hundreds of spam emails.  It won't be misclassified.

In my own anti-spam system, I use challenge/ response as a 'last resort' when all other filters fail, and I think that is a Good
Idea(TM).  I use the authenticated emails to train bogofilter as to what is 'good' email, and this works very well.   C/R is a good
technique to use in order to train your Bayesian filter.  As the filter becomes trained, then the incedence of c/r reduces
significantly.  It plays a very useful part in classifying hard-to-classify emails.