pop accounts

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Sat Mar 13 16:09:06 CET 2004

I use bogofilter under IMAP so I don't really have this problem, but I
was wondering what can be done for POP accounts.

I was thinking of a possible solution that goes like this:

make a copy of all incoming mail.
filter/process it accordingly.
pop-deliver the mail to the client.

Any mail that the client forwards to a specific address is handled
accordingly:
Grab the orginal email reference_id, find it in the archives, and
re-educate bogofilter with that original email.
The client would have to notify the server if this was spam/ham.  This
could be done by either the address sent to, a string in the body, or
replacing the Subject line accordingly.  You pick.

I think this would remove any of the potential problems I have seen with
forwarded email/replied email being incorrectly munged by the email
clients.  (some of them are really hideous!)  Of course, if the original
reference-id is missing in the forwarded email you would have to come up
with something else (X-TAG identifier?)

This isn't bogofilter, but it's related so I hope I don't offend too
many here.