Ignore lists [was: Keeping the cruft out ...]

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Fri Mar 5 02:39:01 CET 2004

Matthias Andree wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Mar 2004, Pavel Kankovsky wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, David Relson wrote:
>>

>>>It _could_ be done that way, but it seems messy.  The old code required
>>>the existance of an ignore.db file (that could be built from a simple
>>>text file using bogoutil).  An alternate approach would be to simply
>>>read the simple text file.

I would think that all of this discussion of massaging headers would be
best handled by procmail rules to accomodate your particular environment.

If there are particular X-Headers that you want to ignore then strip
them out via formail.  Bogofilter does what it does extremely well.
Applying human influences to a statistical process may not work as
anticipated.  Especially when we are combating other (semi-)humans who
send the spam.

If there is a list of words you wish to ignore couldn't you do this?

put your list of ignored words into a file: ~/.bogofilter/ignore
periodically run the following:
bogoutil -d wordlist.db | fgrep -v -f ignore > new_wordlist
mv wordlist.db wordlist.db.bak
bogoutil -l wordlist.db < new_wordlist

(or something like that)

The key is the 'fgrep -v -f ignore' will not pass through anything which
matches the ignore file.  Plus, you'll have a nice small optimized
database when you are done!