bogoutil runs forever dumping database?

Thor Lancelot Simon tls at rek.tjls.com
Mon Jun 28 19:00:48 CEST 2004

I've recently experienced an explosion in the size of my wordlist
database, I assume driven by the new deluge of random-word and
random-phrase spam.  I've never pruned my database, so it was already
rather large, but now it's an order of magnitude larger -- 42MB!

I decided to try pruning all words older than 90 days to see what
that'd do.  Unfortunately, bogoutil -m then obligingly ran my
machine out of several gigabytes of RAM and swap.

So, I used bogoutil -d piped to bogoutil -l.  Better; but after a
while, the new database being built by bogoutil -l didn't grow any
more, but bogoutil -d still sat there generating several megabytes
per second of read I/O.

I decided to just dump out the entire database and look at it.  After
letting this run overnight, I had a multi-tens-of-gigabytes gzipped
output file, and bogoutil -d was still running.

I've tried relinking bogoutil with various versions of db3 and db4;
no luck.  Amazingly, bogofilter still seems to be working correctly;
but I cannot figure out what's wrong (with either the database or
with bogoutil) so that I can't dump or maintain it...

I can easily make the database file available if this would be
helpful for debugging.  I've tried the bogoutil from 0.91 and
0.17.5, linked with db3 and db4; the result's the same.

 Thor Lancelot Simon	                                      tls at rek.tjls.com