Solaris 2.5 [was: Bogofilter-0.92.0 ....]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Jun 27 21:15:31 CEST 2004

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:39:56 -0500 (CDT)
Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, David Relson wrote:
> >
> > Certainly bogofilter has been working well in multi-user
> > environments. Unfortunately there are several, distinct ways to set
> > it up and the explanation will likely become a lengthy treatise.
> > I'll see what I can do.
>
> I apologize for not being on the bogofilter users list (bogofilter
> list postings had replaced the SPAM in my inbox). In my case there is
> considerable FUD since I have never upgraded bogofilter before, the
> version I am using is old, and I don't understand the risks associated
>
> with leaping across versions.
>
> I do worry because bogofilter's 'make check' under Solaris 2.5 (which
> I am working to move away from but is still present in my mail
> delivery system) results in "7 of 34 tests failed".  I don't see these
>
> test failures under Solaris 9.

Bob,

Many of the tests in "make check" depend on proper parsing of the
messages.  As a guess, flex on Solaris 2.5 has different definitions of
letter, digit, punct, or something like that.  If I'm right, you can
just use bogofilter even though the parsing on Solaris 2.5 will be
slightly different than on other systems.  Bogofilter's accuracy doesn't
really depend on whether punctuation is defined as !#@$#%^&*()<>? or
something a wee bit different.

Attached is a tarball.  Unpack it in src/tests and then run
t.parse.0627.sh.  It will parse files src/tests/inputs/spam.mbx and
src/tests/inputs/good.mbx and compare your results to mine.  That will
show if my guess is right.

Ideally the result will be:

  [relson at osage tests]$ t.parse.0627.sh
  good.mbx
  Files good.mbx.new and good.mbx.osage are identical

  spam.mbx
  Files spam.mbx.new and spam.mbx.osage are identical

but I'm expecting to see a problem or two.

Anyhow, I have to do some family stuff now.  More later :-)

David