errors & procmail locking

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun Jun 20 16:06:52 CEST 2004

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> The appearance of an obvious spam in a non-spam folder caused me to look
> at the headers and notice that there was no X-Bogosity line, i.e. that
> the message hadn't been properly processed by bogofilter.  I then
> checked the procmail log and saw the messages.

The

:0e:
{
        EXITCODE=75
        HOST
}

section is supposed to catch that so mail does NOT end up in the wrong
folder.

> I _think_ what we're seeing here is that, without procmail locking,
> bogofilter encountered a locking problem, quit, and procmail recovered
> (rescued) the message.

Bogofilter is supposed to wait, rather than quit, in case of locking
trouble.

> pi suggests that, procmail might have had a problem writing to
> /var/spool/mail/bogofilter.  I don't think that's what happened as file
> /var/spool/mail/bogofilter is only used for messages from the bogofilter
> mailing lists.  I think the "Error while writing ..." message just
> includes the first word of the command in "Executing ...".

Of course, it writes a pipe.

> As you know, I value bogofilter's histograms.  The "-U" them to be
> included when the message is classified as "unsure".

I asked because I didn't find it in the TXN version's man page.

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95