spam IP addresses

dave-bogofilter at homer.cymry.org dave-bogofilter at homer.cymry.org
Fri Jun 18 13:33:01 CEST 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 03:09:44PM +0200, Boris 'pi' Piwinger wrote:
> tallison at tacocat.net wrote:
>
> > Just for fun I counted up all the IP addresses that sent me spam and did
> > a tally of how many of these IP addresses sent me how many spams
> > # spam    # of IP addresses
> > 1         4617
> > 2         243
> > 3         28
> > 4         6
> > 5         2
> > 8         3
> > 28        1
> > 180       1
>
> I changed the sorting to numeric;-)
>
> This suggests, that most IP addresses are only used once or
> twice. This is in line with my tests which showed, that IP
> addresses are not useful for me (see
> http://piology.org/bogofilter/). From your results we cannot
> see if subnets are useful, for me I could easily do without.

A fascinating thread.

Below is the same excercise on two weeks of my companies spam (200,000+ spams). Two
points.

1. Yes the number of spams sent from a single ip is disproportionatly high, but given a
situation where BF is protecting a large number of addresses using a single set of
wordlists, it can be seen that a single ip may be used to send a single spam to hundreds
or thousands of different email addresses. Thus IP can become good data for spam
recognition in certain situations.

2. Even if IP is not a piece of data that lends itself towards recognizing spam, it is
most certainly a piece of data useful for recognizing ham, which in my case is at least
equally important.

#spam   #Ip's
1       36605
2       8640