info about spam messages

Tayfun ASKER tasker at metu.edu.tr
Thu Jun 17 14:44:51 CEST 2004

Hi Tom,

on our systems,

number of users: ~25k
daily emails: ~100k
blocked by MTA: ~3k
blocked by procmail filters: ~3k
caught by bogofilter as spam: ~20k

some From addresses (bogus or not) repeat themselves over and over
again. six months ago, a single ip address sent us 250k spam messages in
one day. fortunatelly that ip address had been already on the access
list. i think there is no harm in filtering known-validated-manually
edited addresses.

i have been looking for a way to extend our current access list for MTA
level blocking and since bogofilter can catch most of the spam traffic,
using the logs of bogofilter seemed to be the most direct way for this.

Regards,

Tayfun