info about spam messages

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Jun 17 14:11:28 CEST 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:44:10 +0300
Tayfun ASKER wrote:

> Hi David,
>   I had noticed the absence of the %F option in the log_header_format.
>
> Do you have a plan to add this option in the next releases? I think it
>
> is better to have both From and ip address values on the same log
> file.
>
> Thank you
>
> Tayfun
>

> > Hi Tayfun,
> >
> > I've not made any changes to make the From: address available.  If
> > you want that, you'll need to use a script to run bogofilter, get
> > the additional info from the message, etc.
> >
> > My usual practice is to wait a week after a current release to see
> > if any problems are found.  If not, it's promoted to stable.  In
> > recent months, the differences between current releases have been
> > very minor and trouble free and all have been suitable for use in
> > production.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > David

Tayfun,

I will _not_ be adding a %F option.  It was an idea that seemed good
when it first appeared, but that further thought revealed to be a bad
idea.

The From: address is too often bogus.  Last month, my spam included 266
messages with osagesoftware.com as the originating domain name.  Of
those 266, half (138) had valid usernames in the From: address.  Simply
put, there's too much garbage in that field to make it worth recording.