Blank emails

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Sat Jun 12 00:14:03 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 05:34, Peter Bishop wrote:
> So I guess the lack of a Subject line might be sufficient to detect
> such probes.
> "Proper" emails should have a Subject line - even if the sender
> forgets to fill it in.

That is by no means a given.  The RFC does not make a subject line
required... it is explicitely optional.  It is supposed to have either a
"To" a "CC" or a "BCC" though, so you could reject it on that basis, but
I'm not even sure that's appropriate.
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822.html

I would just reject it because it has no body.  I haven't heard of any
specification that allows you to say that the user doesn't exist based on that though.

Tom