Blank emails

Peter Bishop pgb at adelard.com
Thu Jun 10 11:29:06 CEST 2004

Sadly, it would appear that my suspicions about blank emails have
been confirmed.

Soon after getting the blanks, my typical spams per day jumped from
around 70 /per day to around 150 /day !!

So it looks like blank emails *are* being used to authenticate
addresses for spam mailing lists.

On the other hand this problem could be viewed as an opportunity to
get yourself off mailing lists if we can recognise such probes and
send a rejection

Chris Fortume advised  that the MTA should answer to empty emails:
"550 user not found" after the DATA command
(ok by RFC2821).

However I am not an MTA expert
How would that be done using postfix?
--