many users

tallison at tacocat.net tallison at tacocat.net
Mon Jun 7 14:44:03 CEST 2004

> On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 17:27:59 -0700
> Chris and Tom,
>
> Unless I miss my guess, individual wordlists are very simple.
>
> By default bogofilter uses environment variables $HOME or
> $BOGOFILTER_DIR to determine where to find/put the wordlist.  In the
> simplest case, bogofilter will put the wordlist in directory
> ~/.bogofilter (where the value of ~ is defined by $HOME).  Alternatively
> if $BOGOFILTER_DIR is defined, then $BOGOFILTER_DIR/wordlist.db will be
> used.
>
> Assuming your environment is set up sanely, bogofilter should just work
> for multiple users.  There's no need for tricks.

This probably folds into the new features you have added for multiple
wordlists.  My point of confusion is the differentiation between $HOME and
$BOGOFILTER_DIR.

Using $HOME gives me the freedom to tune my wordlist to my email.
Filespace hungry, but accurate.  Using $BOGOFILTER_DIR set's everyone to
one common wordlist/bogofilter.cf file.  Less filespace and less accuracy.
 But probably much simpler to manage for 100 users.

But the other question the comes up is: how do you execute bogofilter for
10 virtual users if none of them have a $HOME directory (because they have
no /etc/passwd entry) and no ~/.procmailrc file?

The only way I can imagine doing anything close to this is running
procmail from /etc/procmailrc and using the 'procmail -p' option to pass
in user information from postfix so that I can use the $USER to identify
their wordlist explicitly.