how to train with maildir?

Bob Vincent bogofilter at bobvincent.org
Thu Jul 22 15:55:19 CEST 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 07:45:08AM -0300, Trevor Smith wrote:
> On July 22, 2004 12:07 am, you wrote:
> > Actually, that won't work. ?Both the "-b" and the "-B" options are for
> > classification, not registration, of multiple messages.
>
> Although I noticed that the -b option was in the 'classification' section, it
> *did* make the errors go away (that is, it allowed multiple files to be
> processed) and since it was used with the -n (or -s) options, which *are* for
> registration, I assumed it was a (poorly designed/documented) legitimate
> method for registering multiple messages.
>
> Have you tested and are you certain that 'bogofilter -s -B *' will fail to
> register messages? Or are you just strictly applying what the documentation
> clearly states?

I traced through the code until I found out why it wasn't working as
people on the bogofilter list had stated.  Then I re-read the
documentation.

It is possible that the author has changed the code since then.

> Perhaps a better question is: how can one test, after applying 'bogofilter -s
> -B *' on a directory, if a file in that directory *has* been processed?

Assuming your database is stored in $HOME/.bogofilter, run

	bogoutil -w $HOME/.bogofilter .MSG_COUNT

before and after the operation.

Anyhow, even if the "-B" option will work for registration, you don't
want to do it that way because it will fail once you have too many
messages.

IF the "-b" option works for registration (I'd have to re-read the
code to be sure), the best way would be:

	find $HOME/spam -type f | bogofilter -s -b

But last time I tried that, it didn't work.  (Trying again...)

Mmmm... appears to work now.