Logging

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Mon Jul 19 02:34:23 CEST 2004

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:06:56 -0800
Barsalou wrote:

> I thought that -l logging function wasn't working, then I realized
> that it gets logged in the maillog instead of messages.
>
> I didn't see any reference to which log bogofilter is storing
> things...aside from my happen to look at the maillog and seeing the
> bogofilter entries....how would I have known that it was storing the
> log messages there?
>
> Can I change it to the messages log?  Or some other log file?
>
> Mike
> --
> Barsalou <barjunk at attglobal.net>

Hi Mike,

Bogofilter's logging is done with:

    openlog("bogofilter", LOG_PID, LOG_MAIL);
    syslog(LOG_INFO,...);
    closelog();

I'll confess I don't know exactly how the output file, though
/etc/syslog.conf is involved.  On my Mandrake system, messages go to
/var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog.  I'd be very pleased to have the
messages go to a bogofilter-only file.

Possibly the next bit of /etc/syslog.conf controls the behavior:

# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
*.info;mail.none;;news.none;authpriv.none	-/var/log/messages

I suggest reading up on syslog() and finding what's what.  Maybe you'll
then be able to tell us all how it all works!

Sorry that I can't be of greater assistance.

Regards,