bogus bogotuning

Jason A. Smith jazbo at jazbo.dyndns.org
Thu Jan 29 16:47:01 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 01:05, Stroller wrote:
> And you're also assuming that, should the official version of
> Bogofilter contain your feature request, that no other problems or
> feedback will plague the maintainers or this list. You're assuming that
> people will see the warning message, and say, "Golly gosh, I'm glad I
> saw that, I won't use these worthless results now".
>
> What would actually happen is that the users will ignore the warning
> message, set inappropriate values based on these figures, and then
> hassle the mailing list for fixes, or even worse bitch to their friends
> that Bogofilter's lame, "and even after I tuned it, it got worse"
> without realising why. Because users are VERY good at ignoring warnings
> when they want to be.

Wow, according to you, everyone that uses bogofilter is a complete moron
who will ignore all instructions and warnings then blindly complain to
the developers.  What an arrogant belief that is.  Sure, some people may
ignore documentation, but most would follow instructions.  The only
thing you can do is try to educate the users is write clear instructions
and warnings.  You can never expect 100% obedience, but you shouldn't
ass-u-me 100% ignorance either!

~Jason