-v anomaly?

Greg McCann greg at cambria.com
Thu Jan 29 03:09:06 CET 2004

On 1/28/2004 at 8:38 PM David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> wrote:

>'Tis true.  When it comes time to print the message and its statistics,
>passthrough ('-p') counts as 1 level of verbosity ('-v').

Thank you, David.  Now that I understand it was intentional, I can live with it.  (Though someone, someday might get confused as I did.)  I just wanted to be sure that the seeming discrepancy wasn't me doing something wrong.

>If the code is changed, then "-p -v" is equivalent to "-p" which doesn't
>seem too useful.

That particular combination would indeed be redundant, though one might question whether that is any worse than having -p unexpectedly add a level of verbosity to a -v option.

If the code is left as-is, it might be helpful to add a note to the documentation of the -v options...

"Note:  If -p is used together with a -v option, it counts as one additional level of verbosity."

Best regards,

Greg McCann