Dealing with wordlist mails

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Wed Jan 28 16:00:23 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 09:18, Peter Bishop wrote:
> > A word never seen before is not used in the calculation if
> > you use default parameters (robx=0.415, robs=0.01, min_dev=0.1).
> >
> I think the danger is with setups that use the -u autoupdate option
> With small mindev, random word spam might be registered as ham. If
> these auto updates are not fully corrected, the database will
> eventually get polluted with apparently hammy words.

Anyone who uses -u should already be aware that not doing corrections
will tend to screw up their database.  This is true for any min_dev less
than like 0.9.  But in that case, what's the point of using -u?  Using
bogofilter is not an automatic process.  No matter what, you have to do
corrections, but especially if using -u.  In this respect, bogofilter is
like a dog... a great tool if kept in line, but unpunished bad behavior
is repeated, and especially if rewarded (-u).

Tom