Linus is dubious... but we get some praise

Chris Fortune cfortune at telus.net
Mon Jan 26 00:26:23 CET 2004

Bogofilter rocks!  The big selling points are ease of use / installation, accuracy, and the   s p e e d !    A larger programming
team may have bloated the code unneccesarily.

BTW, Kevin O'Connor's comments on "random word spam" are not factual, go to http://spamconference.com and view the 1st speaker on
the 1st video, Terry Sullivan  (Volatility and stability in spam features), who applies some very interesting statistical analysis
to the spam corpus and concludes that spam is highly stable in it's features and is evolving in discrete steps.  The so-called
"random" spam we've been seeing in the last few months is an example of discrete evolution, but is also surprisingly stable within
it's subclass.

Bayesian classification is highly appropriate and bogofilter leads the way IMHO.