gcc-2.7.2.1

Stefan Bellon sbellon at sbellon.de
Wed Jan 21 22:39:09 CET 2004

Matthias Andree wrote:

[snip]

> GCC is not supposed to be a conformance checking tool, unfortunately.
> However, I looked through the GCC documentation again, to find a
> "-pedantic-errors" option.

Ah, nice, didn't know about that. Thanks.

> I don't have the standard at hand, are there constructs that are
> supposed to give warnings rather than errors? Or are all diagnostics
> supposed to jam the build?

The standard only talks about diagnostics. And it requires the compiler
only to issue one diagnostic and then abort the rest of the compilation
process. So, when the standard talks about diagnostics, it means error.
The fact that compilers continue after the first error is a
nice-to-have and not required by the standard.

All warnings are additional hints by the compiler manufacturer that are
not required by the standard.

And then, there are even compilers that issue informational comments
that are even less important than warnings.

--
Stefan Bellon