bi-state vs tri-state [was: case sensitivity ...]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Jan 21 00:54:44 CET 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:51:15 -0500
Clint Adams <schizo at debian.org> wrote:

> > Because bogofilter's defaults didn't change from 0.15.13 to 0.16.0,
> > I was looking for other reasons for a change in accuracy.  FWIW,
> > case sensitivity has been the default behavior since last May when
> > version 0.13.0 was released.
>
> After regenerating my wordlist db, I notice that bogofilter is now
> doing bi-state instead of tri-state.  Not sure how relevant that is.

Hi Clint,

The default mode is two-state.  When bogofilter has ham_cutoff set to
zero, it classifies messages greater than or equal to spam_cutoff as
spam and all others are classified as ham.

For tri-state, bogofilter needs two non-zero cutoff values, i.e.
spam_cutoff and ham_cutoff.

When ham_cutoff is non-zero, messages with scores less than or equal to
ham_cutoff are classified as ham.  Messages greater than or equal ot
spam_cutoff are spam.  All others are unsure.

It sounds like, in addition to regenerating wordlist.db, you have also
change bogofilter.cf (or the command line parameters for bogofilter).

Hope this helps.