gcc-2.7.2.1

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Jan 19 18:56:56 CET 2004

Stefan Bellon <sbellon at sbellon.de> writes:

> Matthias Andree wrote:
>> I don't care for older GCC, 2.7.2 versions are available for virtually
>> any system, including AmigaOS.
>
> Not everybody _wants_ to use GCC even if it is available! On RISC OS,
> Norcroft C produces better code than GCC and is lots faster when
> compiling. Reasons enough for me not to use GCC but Norcroft C.

There aren't many compilers that produce "better code than GCC". Intel
CC is among them.

Risc OS is not a main stream platform, if Norcroft C drops a warning
because it doesn't to basic block analysis to figure that tail call
jumps to a function that does not return, I don't want to know about
it. If you'd said Intel CC or Metrowerks Code Warrior or something other
of renown, MIPSpro, Sun Workshop, I might have cared. Adding dead code
because one compiler can't quench a warning is not an option - we'll
replace it with an unreachable code warning on the more proficient
compilers.