Postfix default mailbox_size_limit is causing Bogofilter database corruption

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Jan 14 18:17:21 CET 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:08:14 +0300
Sergii Laskavyi <ls+bogofilter.aotto.comede53b7f at gambit.com.ru> wrote:

> >> Dear Wietse Venema, is it possible to change the Postfix default
> >> and/or describe this problem in Postfix and/or Bogofilter FAQ?
>
> Wietse Venema wrote:
> > If bogofilter needs files of 100+ Mbytes,
> > then BOGOFILTER should state that requirement.
>
> The default limit is 48.8 Mbytes, limit suggested by David Relson is
> 69.6 Mbytes - less than 100 Mbytes and only 42% more than default :-)

Sergii,

Bogofilter has no particular need for space.  The need depends on mail
volume and BerkeleyDB's storage efficiencies.  Postfix's default of
5120000 worked fine for me for the best part of a year.  In my example I
used 73000000 purely as a value larger than postfix's default 5120000
value.  Over time, the wordlist size will grow and likely will exceed
whatever size you set today.  You should use a size that's suitable for
your needs and is consistent with any disk quotas that may affect you.

> > I can give Postfix separate limits for delivery to command and
> > mailbox but those limits will necessarily be exactly the same by
> > default.
>
> Many Postfix users can save their time and
> do not lose email when using Bogofilter.
>
> > Adding a BOGOFILTER_README file to Postfix will
> > not help, since nobody reads documentation anyway.
>
> People do grep or google documentation, so README and/or FAQ will help
> :-)
>
> Maybe even messages in mailing lists will do the trick.

Both will work.  Having the info in the docs provides a local source of
info while info on the mailing list using a web search to find it.