Training ham seems difficult

Andreas Pardeike andreas at pardeike.net
Wed Jan 14 10:51:30 CET 2004

On 2004-01-13, at 17.58, Dave Lovelace wrote:

> If they've already been registered as ham, yes; but you can do this at
> the
> same time you register them as spam.  The -N option unregisters them as
> ham, the -s option registers them as spam, but these can be combined:
> bogofilter -Ns
>
> Similarly, if you have messages which have been registered incorrectly
> as spam and now need to be unregistered and reregistered, use
> bogofilter -Sn

That was the information I was looking for. I knew it already from using
bogofilter -h but I wanted it to be confirmed before I start using it.

BTW, in order to prevent that ham is accidentally detected as spam and
thus blocked I wrote a nice system that asks the sender to confirm the
email and then unblocks it (I store all spam in a mysql db and trash
entries
after a week or when they are confirmed). To prevent useful feedback to
spammers I send out confirmation questions from a configurable extra
account
(i.e. admin at pardeike.net for spam received at andreas at pardeike.net). If
get a bounce or error message I can classify the email as spam
directly. If
I get an real answer, I reregister it as ham. After a week, I register
it
as spam. This works flawless because it also prevents mail loops (the
admin
address never answers to email that it receives - it only checks for
valid
confirmations).

I am thinking of making the whole system public and creating an
installable
solution from it. Is anybody interested?

Regards,
Andreas Pardeike

-- If no symptoms manifest, does a problem exist?