"url:" counts

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri Jan 9 03:14:20 CET 2004

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004, David Relson wrote:

> Prompted by Matt's comment on the misnaming of "url:" tokens, I counted
> what's in my database and how many have very low or very high scores.

We should stuff a .BOGOFILTER_FORMAT version integer into any data
base that doesn't have it. We'd start with setting
.BOGOFILTER_FORMAT=1602 in 0.16.2 to use anything that doesn't look
like the first version, and whenever parsing changes, we can prompt the
user what to do: convert with bogoupgrade (preferred) or ignore (which
is discouraged but would just bump the .BOGOFILTER_FORMAT version).

Bogofilter would only open data bases that have a matching
.BOGOFILTER_FORMAT version and refer to bogoupgrade otherwise. After
url: is renamed to ip:, .BOGOFILTER_FORMAT will be set to 1603.

bogoupgrade would then know to s/url:/ip:/ for upgrading from 1602 to
1603.

After 0.16.2, the .BOGOFILTER_FORMAT would likely decouple from the
actual version, so we might consider starting with 21, 23 or 42 instead
of 1602 (any relation with existing books or living or dead authors is
purely intentional).