paths and permissions

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Feb 27 16:55:47 CET 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:45:13 -0500 (EST)
Dave Lovelace wrote:

> David Relson wrote:
> >
> > Hi Jesse,
> >
> > Sounds right.  Since that posting, I learned that procmail runs
> > suid. It's been pointed out that that's potentially dangerous since
> > users can have their own .procmailrc files.
> >
> > David
> >
> Anything that runs SUID root is in principle insecure, but the
> software's authors attempt to wall off the sections where it's
> actually running as root.  I don't know procmail's code, but I'd
> presume that by the time it's running the user's .procmailrc it's
> running as the user.

Hi Dave,

What you say sounds reasonable and sane.  See if you can explain the
following:

If the .procmailrc recipes are run as the user and bogofilter is run
from .procmailrc, then how can "bogofilter -u" update a global wordlist
that's writable by only one user?

Here are the permissions of the relevant directory and file.   At
various times, I've had owner/group set as relson/relson or root/root.

drwxr-xr-x    2 mail     mail         4096 Feb 21 16:25
/var/spool/bogofilter/
-rw-r--r--    1 mail     mail     74317824 Feb 27 10:49 wordlist.db