train on viruses? multipart/mixed

Jef Poskanzer jef at acme.com
Tue Feb 24 20:56:46 CET 2004

>I can see that removing multipart/mixed messages would reduce your viruses,
>but it would also remove an awful lot of innocent mail.  I did a quick
>search through my own email corpus and found 583 good emails with
>multipart/mixed in the head section.

I did the same search before trying this of course, and in about twenty
thousand saved messages I found precisely three multipart/mixeds.
None of those three was particularly important, and if the sender
really wanted to get through they could have simply re-sent the
message as plain text, like the bounce message says.

I really do think multipart/mixed ought to be deprecated net-wide.