spam cutoff less than neutral?

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Tue Feb 24 09:58:28 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 03:03, Boris 'pi' Piwinger wrote:
> >Cutoffs by definition ought to be at or outside of
> >the min_dev range.
>
> Not at all.
>
> >Else, min_dev should really be changed to be
> >consistent with your cutoff philosophy.
>
> It is absolutely consistent. I still don't get you point.

If your min_dev is excluding all tokens between 0.35 and 0.75 as being
unable to influence a ham/spam decision because they are too
inconclusive, then it follows that a combined ranking within this range
is also ambiguous.  If a message classification of 0.55 is definitely
spam, then an individual token ranking 0.55 should also be indicative of
spam.  This is an inconsistency to profess on the one hand that 0.55 is
dubious, but on the other hand to declare it conclusive.

Tom