paths and permissions [OT]

Matt Garretson mattg at assembly.state.ny.us
Mon Feb 23 17:37:12 CET 2004

Eric Wood wrote:
> Users can't simply run them get setuid priveleges.   I'm really suspect of
> your procmail attributes.  Wouldn't that mean any user can write a recipe
> and blow away any file on the system using your procmail binary!?

I believe there are situations where it is valid to run procmail
setuid root, but i can't think of any of them now.  :)  In any
case, current versions of procmail attempt to drop root priviliges
when reading user rcfiles.  So presumably, it would be only
running as root while executing /etc/procmailrc, which hopefully
is properly secured so only root can modify it.

-Matt