2 line returns in subject line = spam

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Feb 6 13:10:44 CET 2004

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 20:05:55 +1100
Tig wrote:

> I've started getting spam with what 'appears' to be two line returns
> in the subject line. I say 'appears' because I have no idea if this is
> on purpose (some ascii character maybe), my email client (Sylpheed
> Claws, v0.9.8), bogofilter or qmail.
>
> Its pretty hard (for me) to work out where on the chain the second
> line return is happening and how.
>
> I guess, my question is. Is anyone else seeing spam like this? The
> reason this is a pain, is because I filter on the X-Bogosity header,
> which is now part of the message body and no longer a header.

Hi Tigger,

SC is a darn good MUA.  I use it myself.  However there _have_ been some
issues with respect to folded header lines.  You may have encountered
one.  Exactly what version of SC are your running - 0.9.8 or
0.9.8clawsXX (where XX is presently around 60)?

It's good that you're running a current bogofilter.  From the sample you
attached, I'm pretty confident the headers are munged before the message
gets to bogofilter.

If you're using fetchmail and/or procmail, it's possible to save the
incoming message before either SC or bogofilter sees it.  It would be
very helpful if you can do that and then, next time, send us the problem
message.

Also, can you gzip the message and send it as an attachment?  That'll
let us look at what you've got with a minimum of intervening agents of
change.

HTH,