purging old db logs

Bill McClain wmcclain at salamander.com
Mon Dec 13 16:49:30 CET 2004

(1) After careful reading of README.db I have upgraded from 0.92.8 to
0.93.2. All went smoothly. I notice one small glitch: the bf_compact
script uses "db_archive -d" to delete old logs. The -d looks like a
handy switch, but is not available for Berkeley DB 4.0.14 which I have
with SuSE 8.2. Presumably I'll get it with a newer distribution. Until
then, I think "rm -f `db_archive`" will accomplish the same thing.

(2) set_flags DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE looks like an interesting option. It is
listed as "unsafe" because old logs should be backed up rather than
immediately deleted, but if I am willing to rebuild from scratch using
a worldlist dump, or even from an original spam/ham corpus, is there
anything particularly unsafe with letting the db remove its own logs?
I'm asking: do we know the feature works as advertised?

(3) I used to be a database guy. The various db_stat informational
switches are pretty entertaining!

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                              History of Astronomy
http://sattre-press.com/               During the 19th Century