massive disk space leak vs thresh_update

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Mon Dec 13 11:54:10 CET 2004

Matthias Andree wrote:
> Tom Allison <tallison at tacocat.net> writes:
>

>>I would rather suggest addressing the potential problem inherent with
>>the database.  You have to routinely cleanup the logs and manage the
>>database environment much more than you have in the past.  Thats the
>>nature of the beast.
>

> I have thought about this a bit, and I think we should offer a mode
> where bogofilter automatically clears the lock files right away. Either
> we do this automatically per "time last run", or we offer a special
> bogofilter mode that the user can stuff into her crontab where it is run
> regularly. I'd also considered adding a "verify", or "check" mode, where
> bogoutil could go through the database files; and reimplement some parts
> of the utilities in bogoutil, because they're usually only on the order
> of 3...30 lines of code - that saves the user the hassle of finding and
> installing the utilities and allows us to wrap proper locking so the
> user doesn't need to take care to stop her mail system.

I wonder how much perfomance cost we'll pay for all this transactional
benefit.  I personally have never had a problem with any of these
database issues with a possible exception of locking reads when writing
to the database.  But procmail retries.

I read the rest of your post and realize that my experience is based on
a mail server that would be considered modest at best.  Therefore my
opinions should be considered with that in mind.

The only concern that I might have that's legitimate would be the payoff
between performance and integrity.  I've always run a bogoutil dump
daily with running with many updates and still have weekly today (no
updates).  I don't know how often we actually see a problem with
database corruptions taking place.  But I do know that bogofilters
performance has been very good in the past.