Lost BODY message

Pavel Kankovsky peak at argo.troja.mff.cuni.cz
Sat Dec 11 21:41:35 CET 2004

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, David Relson wrote:

> While reading mail, I noticed a "no subject" message, which often means
> spam.  However this was in a user folder, not the spam folder. When I
> looked at the file (in its MH directory), it appeared to be truncated at
> the end of the Received: header line.  It's not at all clear what
> happened.  My procmailrc does the following (roughly):

I get truncated messages, like this one:

[end of message]

quite often. Truncation in the middle of a header (esp. in the middle of
Message-ID) is the most common but I have seen messages truncated in the
middle of a body as well. "[20" or a similar string near the end of the
message appears to be a significant common feature of those messages.

An interesting, and probably related thing, is this line from another spam
message (a complete one):

Perhaps the truncated message was generated by some sort of misconfigured
or broken spam generator that failed to substitute the placeholder and
terminated prematurely (btw: spam containing unreplaced placeholders is
quite common as well).

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."