massive disk space leak vs thresh_update

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Dec 11 19:17:54 CET 2004

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 09:09:46 -0800
Jef Poskanzer wrote:

> >I'll take your comment as a preference for "--disable-transactions",
> OK?
>
> Yeah, pretty much.  I'm a little worried that 0.93 with
> disable-transactions might actually be more fragile with respect to
> crashes than 0.92, though.
>
> But assuming that's not an issue, I'd be happy with 0.93 +
> disable-transactions plus thresh_update=0.
>
> Is there a config-file equivalent of the command-line
> --disable-transactions?

Hi Jef,

"--disable-transactions" is a configure (compile-time) option not a
run-time option.  In 0.93.2 --disable-transactions compiles file
datastore_olddb.c, while --enable-transactions compiles datastore_db.c.

Having a config file option would be tricky, though I do have a version
of the code combines the two files into 1 and uses lots of #ifdefs. It's
not pretty :-(

As a better method, we've ideas for refactoring the code into
datastore_db_common, datastore_db_lock, datastore_db_txn, etc. It's not
certain when (if) the refactoring will actually happen.

Regards,