DB_PRIVATE [was: bogofilter-0.93.2 - New Current Release]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Dec 4 14:00:55 CET 2004

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 21:39:43 -0800
James Burns wrote:

> Hello List,
> I switched from spamassassin to bogofilter 0.92.4 about a week ago.
> I have to say, that I am impressed. Any who. I just tried the new
> release and got this error.
>
> Berkeley DB library configured to support only DB_PRIVATE environments

> bogofilter: DB_ENV->open, err: Invalid argument
>
> I'm no programmer, db or otherwise. But I did search for the last hour
> or so to try to figure out what to do to fix it.
> I even installed the newest current BerkeleyDB 4.3.21. That didn't
> help.  So I went back to the previous bogofilter 0.92.4. All works
> fine again. My question is. Do I just need to dig deeper on
> configuring BerkeleyDB?
> Or is this an install problem?
>
> -jim

Jim,

You sent the message to me, personally, but I'm replying to you via
the mailing list.  Matthias is our Berkeley DB expert and will be able
to supply the definitive answer.

As a first bit of info, what distro are you running and how did you load
DB-4.3.21 (from source, rpm, deb, ???)

Looking at the source code (file datastore_db.c) we have

   /*
    * Hint from Keith Bostic, SleepyCat support, 2004-11-29,
    * we can use the DB_PRIVATE flag, that rebuilds the database
    * environment in heap memory, so we don't need to remove it.
    */

    e = env->open(env, directory, dbenv_defflags | DB_PRIVATE |
                  DB_CREATE | DB_RECOVER, 0664);

This is very new code, hence not widely tested with bogofilter, hence a
likely cause of your problem. If you can build from source, try removing
the DB_PRIVATE flag and see what happens.

Matthias will probably respond shortly, though it's now late Saturday
afternoon in Germany.

HTH,