message tags

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Mon Aug 30 17:37:45 CEST 2004

From: "David Relson" <relson at osagesoftware.com>
> It has been suggested that bogofilter should be able to avoid
> duplication registration of a message and avoid unregistering a message
> that was never registered.  Given a unique tag, bogofilter could check
> the tag before registering or unregistering a message.  To take the idea
> a step further, the tag would have a value of 1 for its ham count or its
> spam count.  The tag value would also make it easy to fix an incorrect
> classification.

What purpose would this serve?  Letting a single message slide, or
duplicating the registration, is not likely to effect classifications
noticeably.  In fact, I often register messages multiple times when the
previous registrations were ineffective in changing the classification on
the same beyond the cutoff.  So long as there is bounds checking to prevent
negative token counts, I see no drawback in registering or unregistering
twice for good measure.  Therefore, adding unnecessary complexity to
bogofilter for near-zero return seems a meritless idea.

Tom