terrible, nasty idea...

Marek Kowal kowalm at portal.onet.pl
Sat Aug 28 03:31:31 CEST 2004

>Dude.  I\'m ALREADY under attack and have been for quite some time and
>the intensity is escalating in an exponential fashion.

Which by no means allows you to attack somebody innocent. As long, as you specify the addressess manually, this _might_ work, but then it  is probably not worth the work you spend on in. And still, you can hurt somebody by mistake. Such systems can work effecitively only if they work automatically. So there is no win-win solution here, I am affraid. The sentence "they can unsubscribe" sounds pretty naive, following your own words that the unsubscribe adresses usually do not work, so nobody is using them anyway. Also, mind it, in some countries it is even illegal to collect somebody's email address without his/her prior consent, so "usubscribe" option is not enough anyway.

>From what I've read, there was even a proposal to web-spider and attack the web sites from the URLs found in spam message. Of course, it will work, but of course, somebody will use it to do the malicious work.

I would be not at all surprised if your ISP disconnected you for such a wrongdoing. Propably they can even disconnect you if you "attack" the real spammer - on the basis of spamer's complaint. Which will be hard to argue - they can even provide the logs about your IP attacking them, can't they?

I do understand your reasons to push such a project, but I say this is just heading in wrong direction.

Over,
.m