terrible, nasty idea...

Lee Dowthwaite lee at dowthwaite.net
Wed Aug 25 21:41:23 CEST 2004

This reminds me of something I read that Paul Graham had written (not sure
if it was his idea or not), about the possibility of all antispam
programs/devices chasing up the URLs in spam, not only to check the site
content for rating, but also so that, as a mailing goes out, their servers
are overwhelmed by the response. Kind of an unintentional DoS attack,
although they can't say they didn't ask for it (literally).

I like this idea a lot. The downside is that it uses the bandwidth of the
recipient (or his antispam agent). The upsides are numerous. I doubt
spammers pay for high-bandwidth server space, since their margins are so
tiny, and they aren't going to use it for SMTP since they multiplex their
mailings over a load of ISPs to keep themselves from getting closed down. So
you either effectively DoS their little server, or you make them pay for
exceeding the bandwidth quota of their big, hosted server, which normally
only gets about 5 or 10 hits a day. And if you find one that does have a
high bandwidth server specifically for SMTP, then you hit the very bandwidth
they ant to use when you start chasing up the URLs.

Nice.

Lee